The first time it is mentioned in historical sources since 1497 as Dolbuniv. From the end of XVII century entered into possession of princes Ostroz'ky. The name of a settlement deduce from a word "to hollow", that should specify development of deposits of minerals in this district. In 1873 through it the line of the railway Kyiv-Brest has passed which assisted fast growth of settlement. In 1903 it received the status of city.